Thursday, October 30, 2008

Subcells, trees, python...

I think I finally reached the limit of 2x2 subcell graphics... Even with a small 8x8 font, the 4x4 subcells are too big for such usage...

subcell graphics gone wrong...

Now I'm left with two solutions : either allow true graphics which would be a terrible blasphemy or give up with such embellishment... The other feature I'll have to cancel was to display the character's face in their dialog box, to give more personality to all those @ :). With the subcell resolution, this would require the face bitmap to cover half of the screen... Impossible to stuff in a small dialog box using only a few console lines... I have still a small hope to succeed, using very small faces sprites... Keep posted...

I also worked a bit on trees and forest. I tried my best to have something as hot as in Aviel's stand... and I failed ! Forests don't look that bad, but on another hand, they don't look that good neither :). I have still to work on them.

aviel's stand trees rip-off gone wrong...

At least I've found a new usage for the packer (to be included in libtcod 1.5). I use it to easily put forests on top of cities without bothering about tree/building overlapping.

city in the middle of a forest

Now concerning libtcod, I've just released a new 1.4.1 beta for all platforms/languages including an improved python wrapper. The heightmap tool can now generate code in every supported language (C, C++, python).
http://jice.nospam.googlepages.com/thedoryenlibrary