Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The future of TCOD / libtcod

Things are going to slow down a bit here. I know I said that I was about to release that damn beta but I've never been convinced by the current status of the game. The little break that I took with the Doryen library allowed me to stand back and now, I'm sure that the game is not ready. Sorry for those who were waiting for it, I have to take some time to think about how I can make the gameplay more simple, more intuitive, more fun...

I'll keep providing support and fixes for the Doryen library, and i'm even planning a 1.1 version with at least two new toolkits :
  • a perlin noise toolkit
  • a fast and unintrusive FOV toolkit
But I'm currently very busy with other projects and this version won't be out before a few months.

Concerning The Chronicles Of Doryen, it is temporarily frozen, waiting for me to have a clear vision of where I want to go with it. I'll keep adding some twistles and bells to it (small features that add eye candy but have no impact on the gameplay) to keep the code from decomposing, but don't expect too much changes before a few months.

Putting dates
forward is always tricky, but let's say there should be some action in April or May.

The fact that a chapter of TCOD is finished and a new one starts gives me the opportunity to thank everyone who provided some feedback here, which is all the more valuable since TCOD is still at the vaporware stage without anything released (ok, with the Doryen library, the smoke tends to condense a bit ;).